[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Testing Best Practices/Goals (in the context of compiler-rt)

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Feb 11 13:50:41 PST 2016

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Alexey Samsonov via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I mostly agree with what Richard and Justin said. Adding a few notes about
> the general strategy we use:
>
> (1) lit tests which look "end-to-end" proved to be way more convenient for
> testing runtime libraries than unit tests.

We do have
> the latter, and use them to provide test coverage for utility functions,
> but we quite often accompany fix to the runtime library with
> "end-to-end" small reproducer extracted from the real-world code that
> exposed the issue.
> Incidentally, this tests a whole lot of other functionality: Clang driver,
> frontend, LLVM passes, etc, but it's not the intent of the test.

Indeed - this is analogous to the tests for, say, LLD that use llvm-mc to
produce the inputs rather than checking in object files. That area is open
to some discussion as to just how many tools we should rope in/how isolated
we should make tests (eg: maybe building the json object file format was
going too far towards isolation? Not clear - opinions differ). But the
point of the test is to test the compiler-rt functionality that was
added/removed/modified.

I think most people are in agreement with that, while acknowledging the
fuzzy line about how isolated we might be.

> These tests are sometimes platform-specific and poorly portable, but they
> are more reliable (we make the same steps as the
> user of the compiler), and serve the purpose of documentation.
>
> (2) If we change LLVM instrumentation - we add a test to LLVM. If we
> change Clang code generation or driver behavior - we add
> a test to Clang. No excuses here.
>
> (3) Sometimes we still add a compiler-rt test for the change in LLVM or
> Clang: e.g. if we enhance Clang frontend to teach UBSan
> to detecting yet another kind of overflow, it makes sense to add a test to
> UBSan test-suite that demonstrates it, in addition to
> Clang test verifying that we emit a call to UBSan runtime. Also,
> compiler-rt test would allow us to verify that the actual error report
> we present to the user is sane.

This bit ^ is a bit unclear to me. If there was no change to the UBSan
runtime, and the code generated by Clang is equivalent/similar to an
existing use of the UBSan runtime - what is it that the new compiler-rt
test is providing? (perhaps you could give a concrete example you had in
mind to look at?)

> (4) True, we're intimidated by test-suite :) I feel that current use of
> compiler-rt test suite to check compiler-rt libs better follows
> the doctrine described by David.

Which David? ;) (I guess David Li, not me)

I think maybe what could be worth doing would be separating out the
broader/intentionally "end to end" sort of tests from the ones intended to
test compiler-rt in relative isolation.

Most importantly, I'd expect only the latter to run in a "make check-all"
run, as we do for Clang/LLVM, etc.