[cfe-dev] [libcxx] Instructions for building Windows or Cygwin binaries?

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Feb 10 11:54:34 PST 2016

I am attempting to build libcxx through Cygwin.  My goal is to make sure
that I don't make the Windows build any worse.  Since I don't plan on
using the results for anything other than running the tests, I'm open to
whichever variant of Windows / Cygwin building is most convenient.

Alternatively, if all the Windows builds of libcxx are known to be
completely busted and unsupported at this time, then I'll stop worrying
about it, and I'll just make my best guess as to the changes that I need
to make.

I've seen this page...
http://libcxx.llvm.org/results.Windows.html
... but it appears rather dated.  It mentions Clang (pre-3.1) for instance.

I have attempted to get things running on my own, both through cmake,
and with the buildit script.
* Fully native Windows, with CMake and Visual Studio.
** Even with -DLLVM_BUILD_RUNTIME=ON, I couldn't get a Visual studio
project out of cmake.
* Cygwin, using the built-in version of clang (3.5.2) and buildit
** This headers with this version of gcc don't seem to support a lot of
the c99 math functions (I think this is newlib?)
* Cygwin, using the built-in version of gcc (4.9.3) and cmake
** Same set of missing c99 math functions
* Cygwin, using i686-w64-mingw32-clang (3.5.1) and buildit
** With some source level hacks, I can get this to compile.  I get loads
of linker errors, mostly involving exception handling (_Unwind_Resume
and the personality function).
** I couldn't get libunwind to build, because of missing elf header
parsing functions.
** I couldn't get a simple hello world program to run (though I could
get it to link).

So, any build bot recipes or other information out there on Windows
and/or Cygwin builds?