[cfe-dev] New contributor, `make test` not doing anything

Richard Smith via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Feb 9 13:14:41 PST 2016

On Tue, Feb 9, 2016 at 12:23 PM, Sidney San Martín
<cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> (Reposted from llvm-dev)
>
> I came to the recent LLVM/Clang hackathon and made a new checker for
> clang-tidy. I'm working on wrapping up and submitting my patch, and I can't
> seem to run the tests.
>
> - First, I followed the instructions at
> http://clang.llvm.org/hacking.html#testingNonWindows. I ran `make test` in
> my build directory, and also tried running `make` in the `test`
> subdirectory. They both exited in under a second with no output.
>
> - Then, I tried doing the same thing in the `tools/clang/tools/extra`
> subdirectory of my build directory, where clang-tidy lives. Same result.
>
> - Finally, I found http://clang.llvm.org/extra/clang-tidy/#testing-checks.
> This explains how to create tests but not how to run them. I made a
> relatively wonky command line that seems to run my test successfully (along
> the lines of `PATH=$PATH:$BUILD_DIR/bin ./check_clang_tidy.py
> ../../test/clang-tidy/misc-my-check.cpp misc-my-check /tmp/foo.tmp`), but it
> doesn't feel right.
>
> What should I be doing instead?

Wow, that documentation is extremely out of date.

Use the build target 'check-clang' to run the Clang tests, and
'check-clang-tools' to run the tests for clang's tools/extra. These
should be run from the build directory, not from the 'test' directory.