[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Modernizing LLVM Coding Style Guide and enforcing Clang-tidy

Sean Silva via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Dec 29 11:00:42 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 9:34 AM, David Blaikie via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm a bit confused by this whole discussion.
>
> clang-format is neither mandated (by documentation) nor enforced (by any
> infrastructure/automation) for use in the LLVM project that I know of.
>
> It's convenient, and in review people may reasonably ask authors to
> consider running it, etc - but we have no system that requires or checks
> for that. Might be nice, might not be.
>
> It sounds like even if clang-format were mandated - we mostly accept that
> such a mandate is forward-looking, and that we don't want/intend to
> reformat the entire existing codebase. So I imagine the same would apply to
> clang-tidy (we wouldn't expect to tidy the entire codebase - we'd just use
> clang-tidy as advisory for any new changes as we do with clang-format) - so
> I don't think it'd run up against Danny's protest about choosing a
> philosophy for wide scale changes, because there would be no wide scale
> changes.
>
> All that said, I think like clang-format we should probably have a
> project-wide config that specifies which checks we care about - but the
> real impediment to adoption of those checks is a streamlined process for
> running them on a patch. clang-format has nice integration with my editor
> (vim) and source control system (git-clang-format). I have yet to discover
> an equally convenient place to put clang-tidy in my workflow. Without that
> I doubt it'll see very much adoption within the LLVM community.

+1

I don't remember there being a discussion analogous to the "enforcement"
aspect of thread for clang-format. The uptake of clang-format was organic.

Piotr, what is different about the situation with clang-tidy (vs
clang-format) that we need to have any discussion of "enforcement" in this
thread? I think it's totally reasonable to have a discussion of which
checks we want to run by default for the "LLVM style" (to use
clang-format's terminology), and this thread should probably focus on that.

wrt adding rules to the coding standards, I don't think we want to clutter
the coding standards document with a specific rule for every clang-tidy
check we want to have on by default for the "LLVM style", the same way that
we don't have a rule in the coding standards document for every
clang-format config value which happens to be set in the "LLVM style" (i.e.
all the stuff you see when you do -dump-config). Just the main ones is fine.

-- Sean Silva