[cfe-dev] Minimum llvm/clang tools for compile/link/create library

Mehdi Amini via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 19 18:20:04 PST 2016

> On Dec 19, 2016, at 2:16 PM, Edward Diener via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> What are the minimum clang/llvm tools needed to compile, link, and create a library ?

It depends what you mean with these terms.

Assuming “compile” means “starting from C/C++” to “binary object”, then you need clang.

If “link” is what takes multiple “binary objects” and generate a “platform specific executable" or a "shared library”, then we have lld, even though it is not totally ready for production (it seems that  Elf and COFF are quite complete).

If “create a library” is about creating a "shared library” then it is part of the link usually. If you’re interested into static archive, we provide llvm-ar and llvm-ranlib.

—
Mehdi