[cfe-dev] [RFC] New ClangDebuggerSupport Library

David Blaikie via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 12 16:40:18 PST 2016

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM Chris Bieneman <cbieneman at apple.com> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2016, at 4:13 PM, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 4:09 PM Chris Bieneman <cbieneman at apple.com>
> wrote:
>
> David, the two approaches address very different problems.
>
> The YAML tools are focused on a bit-for-bit identical round trip path for
> DWARF into and out of YAML. The goal with that work is to be able to
> generate a test suite from the output of many different versions of many
> different compilers. This is specifically with the goal of creating
> LIT-style tests that read DWARF and operate on it.
>

> Ah, thanks for explaining.
>
> These tests wouldn't appear in LLVM/Clang's test suite, then, right? So
> normal regression tests for the ClangDebuggerSupport library would be
> written as unit tests using Greg's DWARF-generation library?
>

> My goal is actually to have reduced test cases based on the YAML tools in
> the clang test suite. LLDB's use of clang APIs with dwarf generated by
> mismatched compilers is the source of many issues for the debugger, so
> having basic testing of DWARF generated by alternate compilers in Clang is
> highly desirable.

Well, having DWARF that's representative of that generated by alternate
compilers is important - and it seems like Greg's work on the unit test API
for creating DWARF should still allow that. Seems reasonable to continue to
enhance that to produce any DWARF we care about (since we'll need to
generate it to test the DWARF parsing APIs - so that's a prerequisite
before we worry about whether the ClangDebuggerSupport library can do
something sensible with it, right?)

> Large tests generated from other compilers on raw source I would expect to
> appear in something like the test-suite, rather than in an LLVM project's
> regression or unit test suite.
>

> Large tests will certainly not be included in the clang test suite. YAML
> representations of DWARF should enable us to make reduced test cases in
> many situations, and where we cannot we will put the test in an external
> suite.
>

> Why the need for round tripping, then? Would it be sufficient for the
> test-suite to have binaries checked in next to info about what compiler
> generated them?
>

> The benefit of supporting round tripping in and out of a text-based format
> is that we may be able to reduce the test cases to things that we can
> include in the Clang test suite.
>
> (& why not just have the source checked in & run a variety of buildbot
> configurations (or one meta-configuration that could enumerate a variety of
> compilers) with different host compilers to test the behavior? That's how
> GDB's test suite works (for better and worse, don't get me wrong - there
> are things that could be improved from that position))
>

> This is actually basically how the LLDB test suite works. There is one
> huge drawback to this. Not everyone has access to every compiler we want to
> support, and certainly most people don't have them all installed. As a
> result having source-based tests means that many people may not be able to
> reproduce test failures locally. Using YAML encodings to generate the
> binary DWARF removes the compiler from the picture, and allows everyone to
> test every compiler's output.

Fair - so why YAML rather than something more like the unit tests Greg's
working on in LLVM?

(this is clearly my preference - to use the unit test type API, since in
both Greg and your case, you're testing an API, not a tool, so it seems
cool/fine/reasonable to have an API for generating the input.

But the alternative question would be: Why not test the LLVM DWARF parsing
API Greg's testing, with this yaml input instead of the unit test API?)