[cfe-dev] ubsan: problem with detecting UB in shift operation with large RHS

Kostya Serebryany via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 12 15:27:41 PST 2016

Is it actually undefined behavior?
What does the standard say about " int32_value >> int64_value" ?
If int64_value should be first cast to int32, then there is no UB in:
    res += 123 >> l;

As for the first buggy line, there is a FE warning:
b.c:6:19: warning: shift count >= width of type [-Wshift-count-overflow]
    int res = 123 >> 0x100000000ULL;

--kcc