[cfe-dev] [clang-tidy] Dealing with check names

Richard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Dec 12 09:29:37 PST 2016

[Please reply *only* to the list and do not include my email directly
in the To: or Cc: of your reply; otherwise I will not see your reply.
Thanks.]

In article <CAEhrgAPqzCPZhtJ7qbgk+V-Vc_T-wSBsgPWHg74dj4QSrg4SZQ at mail.gmail.com>,
    Piotr Padlewski via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:

> This sounds also good. I was thinking that it would be nice if clang-tidy
> itself could warn about old name and dump config, but problem here is
> when user have configuration "misc-*" and we moved one check from misc to
> other group. We should probably dump clang-tidy version in the config to
> know how old is config.

I believe clang-tidy already has a mechanism for saying "this check is
an alias of this other check", so you can migrate the checks to a new
organization and keep the old names as aliases for the new names.

I don't know if it emits any kind of diagnostic that you are using an
old alias.  We could introduce a way of deprecating a check name and
emit if you use the deprecated name.
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>