[cfe-dev] Clang Static Analyzer: False Positive Suppression Support

Gábor Horváth via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Aug 29 07:59:19 PDT 2016

Hi!

I will try to summarize the discussion, let me know if I forgot something.

So far the consensus is that, people are not convinced that false positive
suppression is useful for compiler warnings or clang tidy. For both the
warnings and clang tidy checks the false positives can usually be
suppressed by changing the code (often in a natural way). In case it is not
possible to do so, or the warning makes no sense, one should report a bug.
(And clang tidy already has a way to suppress results using comments,
however that is not general enough for the static analyzer.) However most
of us thinks that it is useful to have false positive suppression for the
clang static analyzer. The reason is that, there are cases, where code can
not be changed in a way that suppresses the warning. One can not use
asserts to assert that something is freed. And one can not use the
__clang_analyzer__ macro to suppress some of the warnings.

There are some false positive suppression code for the static analyzer
available privately and the might be open sourced.

There are two main approaches for suppression.

Hashes:
* Good for 3rd party code or when teams share the same codebase and have
different preferences regarding how to handle suppressions
* It is better to store it in json/yaml/textual format, so it can be
committed to source control systems
* The user do not need to think about how to suppress an issue

Comments or pragmas:
* For path sensitive checks either the uniqueing location must be
suppressed or multiple locations which is noisy. In the former case the
user might need to read the documentation to be able to properly suppress
an issue
* Using pragmas one can introduce convenience macros, it might also be
better to suppress code regions
* It is better to suppress based on bug type or something like that rather
than using the name of the checker (which is not intended to leak out)
* It is good idea to have line offsets to avoid too much noise when reading
code
* Anything against pragmas?

In both cases:
* It is crucial to think about suppression lifetime management, so make it
easy to review false positives later on (e.g.: a flag to report a note when
a suppression comment or hash is unused? also, it is crucial to be able to
add comments to suppressions, why is it a false positive, what is the
criterion to remove the suppression)
* We should not mix baselining with supression, we should think about them
as separate problems.
* Suppression inside clang increases the compatibility between 3rd party
tools
* In the long run clang might no longer provide HTML output, it might be
generated by a 3rd party tool (or another tool in the repository). It might
not be crucial to feed suppressions back to text output.

What about continuing the analysis after a sink node was suppressed?
* It is more likely to find more false positives on such paths.
* In some cases however (if the checker fails to understand the domain
specific logic, but the analyzer still has a good understanding of the
code), it might make sense. So maybe it might make sense to continue the
analysis, when a non-core check result was suppressed, and turn off that
check for the rest of the path?
* In the former case maybe the better alternative to make the check not to
generate a sink.

Some of us thinks that it might make sense to implement both hash and
pragma or comment based suppression.

Regards,
Gábor