[cfe-dev] Making MSAN Easier to Use: Providing a Sanitized Libc++

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Aug 17 12:12:08 PDT 2016

On 8/16/2016 7:35 PM, Evgenii Stepanov via cfe-dev wrote:
> So, I'd argue that proper support for sanitized shared libraries
> (primarily libc++, but not just libc++) would require loader change.
> We could start by agreeing on and specifying a way a binary would
> declare it's "sanitizer type" which could be used at runtime to change
> the library lookup path.
I don't think you need loader changes if you are willing to change the
soname and use version tags.  I don't think loader changes will fix any
of the pathological cases that soname and version tag trickery won't fix.

Here's a brief proposal for a way to do this...
* Give sanitized libraries a different file name.  For example,
libc++-msan.so.
* Give sanitized libraries a different soname.  For example,
libc++-msan.so.1.
* Put all symbols in libc++ under a version tag (LIBCPP_MSAN perhaps).
The "regular" build of libc++ will continue to use unversioned symbols.
* Install the sanitized libc++ in the same directory as the regular libc++.
* Change the clang driver so that -fsanitize=memory will cause the
linker to pull in libc++-msan.so instead of libc++.so.  This will cause
the DT_NEEDED to point at the msan version of libc++, and it will cause
all the unresolved symbols to point to @LIBCPP_MSAN versions of the symbols.

How this works in mixed envrionments...
Case 1 (great!):
* User builds an msan version of an executable (msan_tester).  If you
point 'nm' at msan_tester, you will see that it has a lot of standard
library symbols with @LIBCPP_MSAN on them.  'ldd' will tell you that
msan_tester will pull in libc++-msan.so, but not libc++.so.
* Suppose msan_tester does a dlopen and dlsym of a non-msan'd C++
library.  That C++ library was built against regular libc++. Regular
libc++ gets loaded, but none of it's symbols will get put in the global
symbol table, because libc++-msan.so got there first.
* Happy day, only one version of libc++ is getting used (though two
different ones got loaded).

Case 2(boo!):
* User builds an regular version of an executable (normal_tester)
* normal_tester does a dlopen and dlsym of an msan'd C++ library. The
msan'd C++ library is still going to bind against the libc++-msan.so
version of the symbols.
* Sad day.  Two versions of libc++ are being used.

Note that changing the loader wouldn't fix case 2 either, at least as I
understand the proposal.