[cfe-dev] Dealing with parse errors with Python bindings of libclang

Vedant Kumar via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Aug 14 11:40:38 PDT 2016

Hi Ethan,

> On Aug 13, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Jonathan Coe <jonathanbcoe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 13 Aug 2016, at 22:33, Ethan Smith via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for your reply vedant,
>>
>> I think I might work on a patch. It seems if I use clang_createTranslationUnitFromSourceFile, I can pass the return as the TranslationUnit parameter for clang_parseTranslationUnit2.

That doesn't sound quite right to me. The `out_TU' parameter looks like an
in-out parameter. Initializing it beforehand might work, but would be redundant
and (probably) leaky. I suggest using the API like this:

  CXTranslationUnit TU;
  enum CXErrorCode CXErr;
  CXErr = clang_parseTranslationUnit2(..., &TU);

>> After a bit of fiddling, I found that I needed to make my own enum wrapper for CXErrorCode (where should I place the code for this? In cindex near the "Exception Classes" section?), and now I can get the correct return code.
>>
>> I was thinking of giving the CXErrorCode in the TranslationUnitLoadError given. (Eg,  "clang.cindex.TranslationUnitLoadError: Error parsing translation unit:  CXError_InvalidArguments")

Sgtm.

>> Also, since this moves to clang_parseTranslationUnit2, and there are no other references to the it, should I comment out clang_parseTranslationUnit? Or leave it in?

I assume that you're just changing the python bindings, in which case it's
probably safe to remove all references to the old parseTranslationUnit API.
You'd have to double-check with someone who knows more :).

>> Also, I should submit this fix once I hear back on the above as a Github PR, correct?
>>

> I think that GitHub is just a mirror of an SVN repository. I've submitted any patches to LLVM/Clang on Phabricator
>
> http://llvm.org/docs/Phabricator.html
>
> If you look at recent changes to the clang bindings in the history then you can find people who might be able to review your (very welcome) changes.

+ 1. Please submit your patch to reviews.llvm.org, CC cfe-commits, and add
a reviewer or two.

thanks,
vedant