[cfe-dev] clang-tools compilation confusion

benjamin adamson via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Aug 13 15:42:42 PDT 2016

Hi, I hope this is an easy question. I've been stuck with this for longer
than I care to admit, so I appreciate any help! I've been trying to setup a
new C++ project for myself, using all of the clang static analysis tools
from the start. I was able to integrate clang-format and clang-check into
my workflow no problem, but I'm unable to figure out how to compile the
extra tools along-side with my llvm installation.

I followed the steps verbatim from:
http://clang.llvm.org/get_started.html

Specifically the step asking us to checkout the extra repository, and then
build the whole project.

 benjamin at benjamin-HP-Compaq-8200-Elite-SFF-PC  ~/github/build-llvm  pwd
/home/benjamin/github/build-llvm

cmake -G "Unix Makefiles" -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release ../llvm/

This works find, produces a release build of the clang compiler. However,
the clang extra tools (such as clang-tidy) are not found in the bin
directory. I noticed that clang-tidy came with a python script to run it,
which I did, which failed because (I believe) clang-apply-replacements
isn't in my path.

So I went and looked for clang-apply-replacements, and I couldn't find a
python script fronting that, so I figure I need to understand why my
clang-apply-replacements binary isn't being compiled when I build
llvm/clang.

Here's the directory structure of my llvm directory, if that's at all
helpful:
http://pastebin.com/xBBpAKUn

Thanks in advance, I'm super excited about using these tools but the
documentation around installing the extra tools is missing a bit of
hand-holding I believe. I could be wrong, thanks in advance!!

--
Adamson, Benjamin
adamson.benjamin at gmail.com