[cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Jason Henline via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Apr 28 09:50:49 PDT 2016

Andrey,

Great points in your two kopecks :). Thanks for bringing them up.

* Bugzilla and mailing list requirements are not covered. Do you want to
have a component in Bugzilla for each project? One for all of them? Mailing
list -- a separate list for each project? (IMHO, an overkill) One for all
of them?

I think you're right that these should be addressed. I think there should
be one mailing list for the project and separate Bugzilla components for
each subproject. I was thinking of including it in the charter as follows:

BEGIN_CHARTER_SECTION

1. parallel_libs-dev at lists.llvm.org for discussions among project
developers, and
2. parallel_libs-commits at lists.llvm.org for patches and commits to the
project.

Each subproject library will manage its own components in Bugzilla. So, for
example, there can be several Bugzilla components for different parts of
StreamExecutor, etc.
END_CHARTER_SECTION

* Build system -- I suppose you expect all of the libs to be built
separately, without a single unified cmake file. Correct? Also, I expect
you want all of the libs to be integrated into LLVM build -- correct? This
should be spelled out explicitly.

You are right that I expect the build to be arranged this way. Here is my
proposal for adding this to the "LLVM build and test infrastructure section
of the charter":

BEGIN_CHARTER_SECTION
Each subproject library will be able to build separately without a single,
unified cmake file, but each subproject libraries will also be integrated
into the LLVM build so they can be built directly from the top level of the
LLVM cmake infrastructure.
END_CHARTER_SECTION

* I don't really like "parallel" in the name. Both SE and libomptarget are
libraries that handle offloading, not parallelism. I understand other
libraries, to be added in the future, might deal with parallelism, but
maybe we need a separate project for them? (Something Chris already
hinted.) How about "offloading_lib"?

>From my perspective, I think "offloading_lib" or maybe "offloading_libs" is
a good name, but I suspect that Chandler might have something to say about
that. I'd like to hear his opinion.