[cfe-dev] [RFC] UBSan check data size reductions

Filipe Cabecinhas via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 27 12:15:07 PDT 2016

Hi Richard,

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 1:22 AM, Richard Smith <richard at metafoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I think the 0003 patch makes a lot of sense. I wish I'd done that in the
> first place! (You'll need a corresponding change to compiler-rt of course.)
>
> For the 0002 patch, could we use a different representation instead, to
> deduplicate the common suffixes? Something like:
>
>   struct Path { Path *parent; const char *content; };
>
> Split each path on each '/' (or some smarter heuristic), and produce:
>
>   Path p0 { nullptr, "/path/to/build/" };
>   Path p1 { &p0, "foo/" };
>   Path p2 { &p1, "bar/" };
>   Path foo_bar_baz_h { &p2, "baz.h" };
>   Path foo_bar_quux_h { &p2, "quux.h" };
>
> The downside of this is increased relocation size, which is already a
> significant problem for ubsan binaries. I'm not sure how much of that we can
> fix without teaching the linker about ubsan data.

I'm not sure it's worth it to add so much complexity when the maximum
savings of my filename patch (keeping only the last path component) is
between 7% and 20% of the rodata section.
It's also not possible to figure out a proper path component split
from inside one of clang's invocations, since we wouldn't know what
paths the program would have. It would have to be dealt with by having
clang tag the strings + an llvm pass to optimize them in a way we knew
UBSan understood (implying LTO is needed, btw).

If we were to do this per translation unit, the savings would most
likely be even smaller (or be worse than just having the whole file
names. e.g: Support/APFloat.cpp, Transforms/IPO/ConstantMerge.cpp
(both in llvm), and CGExpr.cpp (random files I tried this on) only
have checks in themselves, not in any header. So the only path emitted
is the one file's path).

Each filename is emitted once per translation unit anyway (or gets
merged to one instance per TU later), hence the not-so-big (but still
nice to have!) savings with the 0002-* patch.
Any asserts you might have might already be emitting the full pathname
anyway, too.

A quick check on clang (this was with a quick script, I might have
messed up) tells me that the Path complexity could probably halve (at
most. I got ~54% space usage) the string data for this (a pointer pair
per "split" in patch components (common prefix, different suffix)),
while stripping every path component but the last would make the
string data for filenames use ~27% of the space needed for the full
file names.

This is assuming the full path is only used by UBSan. If it's not, it
gets merged on the current solution, but gets added again on the Path
structure solution.

> The 0001 patch makes me wonder if we can move (most of) the ubsan data into
> a section that's not mapped into the program's address space on startup, and
> somehow lazily read it from the binary if a check fails. This will need some
> work to cope with our duplicate suppression mechanism (which writes back to
> the ubsan data), but if you're having address space issues, this could help
> substantially.
I'm unsure that would be a usable case for people that have these limitations.
In some systems, it might be impossible (for UBSan alone) to get the
path to the executable, either because that information isn't
available by default, or because we don't have the image in a
filesystem.
We'd also be mapping/unmapping file areas a lot (in systems that can),
which would be very noticeable.

I think I will go ahead with the 0003 patch and upload a proper
version of it soon (and the corresponding compiler-rt patch. That one
is done already :-) ).
As for the 0002 patch, I think I'll upload it too and we can keep the
"alternate version" discussion either here or in the other patch.

I'll probably only upload them tomorrow so feel free to comment here
instead of waiting for me to upload them if you have any comments.

Thank you,

  Filipe