[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Fwd: Raising CMake minimum version to 3.4.3

Chris Bieneman via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Apr 27 10:41:54 PDT 2016

Most of the comments I have are actually very well captured by Chandler's email, so I'm not going to pile on. I do have a few things to add.

Renato, in your most recent email you comment about differentiating *stable* vs random versions of CMake built from source. I believe as a community our recommendation should be that people download CMake sources from https://CMake.org/download/ instead of git. Then they get the source of a known stable release. If people choose to pull random git hashes or tags, that is their decision, but since the minimum version I'm proposing is widely available I think it will be uncommon.

So let's talk about ExternalProject.

Is it the only way? No. There are actually several approaches that could be taken here, but let me explain why I want to do it this way.

At a very basic level there are really two high-level approaches to solve the problem of building runtime libraries multiple times:

(1) Do the "Darwin" thing hand hack building multiple targets from the same CMake configuration.
(2) Configure the runtimes multiple times, once per target.

I've been working to try and un-do the horrible Darwin approach we have because I think it has some serious problems, but an alternative solution would be to extend the Darwin approach to every other platform. If you do this you don't need ExternalProject, but you do need to do some really dirty hacks. If you want to understand those hacks, just look at CompilerRTDarwinUtils.cmake in compiler-rt. That is a bit of evil that I’m responsible for, and I’ll be paying down that debt for a long time to come.

Apart from this we also have another problem. The build system makes configuration decisions based on the compiler *at configuration time*. The problem is you really want to configure compiler-rt (and the other runtimes) *after* you've already built clang so the runtimes are configured and built with the clang you just built. The only way to do that is with some mechanism similar to ExternalProject.

We could roll our own. At this point I'm going to put on my "non-constructive reality" hat. I'm not going to do that. I don't mean that from a philosophical stance; I love reinventing me some wheels. I mean that from a "there is no way my boss is going to let me waste that much of my time solving an already solved problem" stance. Even using ExternalProject, this work is largely a side-project of mine, so it is going to take me a while to untangle it.

Replicating ExternalProject would be a lot of work, and it would be a huge maintenance burden to the community. As a data point, the one place in LLVM where we don't use ExternalProject (and we should be) is the cross-compiling goop, and it is a gigantic mess (see: CrossCompile.cmake and every mention of LLVM_NATIVE_BUILD in TableGen.cmake). It is filled with bugs and in desperate need of disentangling. This is another one of my sins that I need to repent.

I feel I should also point out that ExternalProject isn't a silver bullet. It isn't going to solve all our problems, and since it is one of the more actively changing parts of CMake we may find ourselves re-visiting this conversation in a year or two talking about a newer version of CMake.

-Chris