[cfe-dev] [libcxx][libcxxabi] Use of thread_local in libcxxabi

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Apr 26 07:14:15 PDT 2016

There isn't much TLS stuff in libcxx, and what is there isn't terribly
suitable for the thread_local keyword.

The biggest usage of TLS in libcxx involves TLS destructors. There are
several things that a thread needs to do on exit (
notify_all_at_thread_exit, set_value_at_thread_exit,
make_ready_at_thread_exit), and libcxx implements most of those things
in terms of TLS destructors.

Destructors for pthread_tls is also typically more widely supported than
destructors for thread_local objects.