[cfe-dev] [request] Improve debugging of ffast-math optimizations

Hal Finkel via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Apr 24 08:51:38 PDT 2016

Hi!

First off, the tool you reference below, rust-herbie-lint, looks really neat:

test.rs:40:5: 40:18 warning: Numerically unstable expression, #[warn(herbie)] on by default
test.rs:40     (a/b + c) * b;
               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
test.rs:40:5: 40:18 help: Try this
test.rs:       (c * b) + a;
test.rs:67:5: 67:23 warning: Numerically unstable expression, #[warn(herbie)] on by default
test.rs:67     (a*a + b*b).sqrt();
test.rs:67:5: 67:23 help: Try this
test.rs:       a.hypot(b);

That's awesome! I hope that Clang can develop warnings like this.

Second, we could have a sanitizer mode in which instructions with nnan and ninf flags (and similar) were checked (operands and output) for these special values. Such a sanitizer failing would not always be a concrete problem (sometimes users expect these values might be generated, but they just don't care how they're handled), but many users want a way to determine when and where such values appear. That having been said, the most efficient way to do this (on many architectures) is to enable certain floating-point exceptions. Instrumentation would be much slower. Maybe a sanitizer for these things could take advantage of hardware floating-point exception support somehow.

For optimizations, like traditional reassociation (and reduction vectorization), we could use the backend "remark" feature to give users information on where these apply. On large codes, however, such information would be very noisy. For this to be useful we'd need to think about how to filter, I suspect we'd need to combine it with profiling information, so they we only generated the information on actually-executed (or even hot) paths.

Explaining what the optimization did in terms of source-level variables is something I'm not quite such how to best accomplish in the current infrastructure (perhaps using debug info?). That would be a nice functionality to have, however.

 -Hal