[cfe-dev] Specific clang-cl preprocessor emulation problem

Edward Diener via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Apr 16 01:23:27 PDT 2016

On 4/15/2016 7:17 PM, James Dennett via cfe-dev wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 4:10 PM, Edward Diener via cfe-dev
> <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
> <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 4/15/2016 6:45 PM, Jonathan Roelofs via cfe-dev wrote:
>

>         On 4/15/16 4:32 PM, Edward Diener via cfe-dev wrote:
>

>             3) I do not know what your reference to
>             macro_paste_identifier_error.c
>             means.
>

>         clang/test/Preprocessor/macro_paste_identifier_error.c
>
>             I assume that is a source file used to build clang-cl.
>

>         No, it's a test.
>

>     I see it but I don't understand why you should be expecting a
>     programmer using clang-cl ( or clang/clang++ targeting VC++ ) to
>     have to pass a compiler option to emulate VC++ when you have already
>     pushed clang-cl as emulating VC++ by default.
>

> Please, don't assume that anyone is expecting such a thing.   I was just
> providing the test as an example of how things work today.
>
> My reason for asking whether you'd tried it was to ascertain whether
> disabling that warning would resolve your issue.  It sounds like it
> would, so thank you for confirming that.
>
> MSVC++ support is still fairly new, and Boost PP pushes the limits.  I
> suspect that people are entirely open to changing this, given a polite
> request and a straightforward rationale.  I think (though I'm not sure)
> that MSVC++ mode turns off various other diagnostics already.

I added to the bug report my comment that '-Wno-invalid-token-paste'
should be the default when compiling clang-cl in order to emulate VC++.
I am not good at politeness, but I am good at straightforwardness. I do
want clang-cl to succeed so that Boost users can use it with Boost
libraries if they want to go that route.