[cfe-dev] Turning explicit template instantiations into strong symbols

Keno Fischer via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 14:01:30 PDT 2015

Hi Doug,

while trying to cut down the number of weak symbols exported by a shared
library,
I came across a proposal [1] of yours to add an
`__attribute__((__unique_instantiation__))` to clang that when placed on a
`extern class template` definition would allow the compiler to use strong
symbols for that template instantiation instead of weak ones. I was
wondering if you ever got around to implementing a prototype or whether
your thinking has evolved on the matter. I think it would be quite a useful
attribute to have.

Thanks,
Keno

[1]