[cfe-dev] Exporting Clang AST

Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Sep 28 07:31:58 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:00 PM Bhargava Shastry <
bshastry at sec.t-labs.tu-berlin.de> wrote:

> > The question is what you want to do; if we're talking IDE support, we
> > don't want every IDE to go and fiddle with the clang AST - it's complex
> > and hard to get right.
> > Instead, we want to build tools in clang/clang-tools-extra, and export
> > those via libclang (or something similar). That way, all IDEs will have
> > a common set of well-tested tools.
> > If you want to build your own one-of code transformation, I'd recommend
> > to write it in C++ against the clang AST directly.
>
> I am working on a close-to-source on-disk representation of clang AST.

I understand that - my question is what you want to use it for.

> am unsure what level of AST detail is necessary. But I do know that the
> detail offered by python bindings is too abstract (low level of detail)
> for my needs.
>
> Is the libclang project you speak of (clang-tidy abstraction) in
> development or planned for the future? It sounds like an apt setting to
> implement Bjarne Stroustrup's coding guidelines [1] that he discusses in
> his latest cppcon talk!

Yes, clang-tidy exists and already has implemented a couple of the core
guidelines - contributions to implement more checks from the guidelines
would be highly appreciated.

Note that clang-tidy is not exposed through libclang yet.