[cfe-dev] RFC: Support x86 interrupt and exception handlers

Joachim Durchholz via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Sep 22 00:18:13 PDT 2015

>>> The main purpose of x86 interrupt attribute is to allow
>>> programmers to write x86 interrupt/exception handlers in C
>>> WITHOUT assembly stubs to avoid extra branch from assembly stubs
>>> to C functions.
>>
>> Let's take just this statement. Are you sure that the call/ret
>> pair for such a stub has *any* significant impact on the interrupt
>> latency? I'm quite doubtful of that. That's completely ignoring the
>> fact that raw interrupt or exception latency is generally not an
>> issue.
>
> I agree that this is a highly-relevant question. Demonstrating the
> benefit here is important. I can certainly imagine that it might be
> the case that on embedded systems the latency here is more important.
> The other thing is that it might matter a lot more for syscall/trap
> overhead than for actual externally-sourced interrupts.

Embedded systems are mostly ARM these days, so embedded is not going to
give much traction to your work.
Maybe Atoms are used there; Intel designed them to be useful for
embedded, I just don't know whether that worked out.

I'm a bit sceptical that the stub matters much. Most of the overhead in
interrupts and syscalls/traps is the context switch. On the '386, that
was dozens (hundreds?) of bytes pushed to the stack. I don't know what
later models do (my assembly days are long gone), but given that one of
the major influences on Linux' kernel API design is avoiding context
switches, I guess things didn't get better.
Talking about Linux, you might want to head over to these folks and see
what they do about stubs and whether they use gcc options to eliminate
them where possible. Linux folks are very performance-conscious, if even
they don't care about the stubs, then stubs are likely irrelevant, or at
least much less important than the maintenance burden for stub elimination.

Just my 2 cents from the sideline, back to lurking on backend topics :-)

Regards,
Jo