[cfe-dev] [Analyzer] C++ Constructors Do Not Work

Anna Zaks via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 17 12:00:37 PDT 2015

The analyzer does not give any guarantees about which functions will be inlined. Some of this is due to the lack of full implementation for some language features (such as destructors support) but there are other reasons for this as well, such as performance considerations. The main issue that will never completely go away is that you cannot assume that definitions of all methods/functions you call are available. They might be defined in another translation unit or in a library that the user does not have access to.

If you want to get more familiar with code that makes those decisions look at ExprEngine::defaultEvalCall which performs call evaluation. If first tries to get the function definition by calling getRuntimeDefinition(); the definition might not always be available. Afterwards, we consult a long list of policies to decide if a function whose definition we can access should be inlined. Take a look at ExprEngine::shouldInlineCall and mayInlineDecl.

The checkers/analysis built on top of the clang static analyzer have to be written to support cases where the implementation details of some functions are not available. These are usually treated in a conservative way to avoid false positives. A constructor is no different in that respect. How do your analysis treat method calls which cannot be inlined?

I hope this answers the question. Let me know if you need more pointers!
Anna.