[cfe-dev] LLVM, Clang Development IDEs

Vladimir Voskresensky - Oracle via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Sep 11 03:45:34 PDT 2015

On 09/11/15 12:44 PM, Manuel Klimek via cfe-dev wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2015 at 11:40 AM Vladimir Voskresensky - Oracle
> <vladimir.voskresensky at oracle.com <mailto:vladimir.voskresensky at oracle.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Hello Manuel,
>

>     On 09/11/15 11:59 AM, Manuel Klimek wrote:
>>     On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 7:59 PM Vladimir Voskresensky - Oracle via
>>     cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org>> wrote:
>>
>>         Hello Keith,
>>
>>         I'm from Oracle (previously from Sun Microsystems) and use NetBeans
>>         C++ IDE for
>>         developing Clang based tools.
>>

>>     Oh, this is awesome :)
>     I've demoed this to Argyrios Kyrtzidis ~year ago and he was impressed by
>     it's parsing speed :-)
>     NB needed just 1 minute to parse whole LLVM+Clang 3.4 codebase on my laptop.
>     Also I was complaining that migrating to i.e. Clang's preprocessor makes
>     us 2x slower (which is still the case for upcoming NB 8.1, but we trying
>     to restore our speed)
>
>>         Till 8.0 version Netbeans had own parser (as Eclipse). Starting from
>>         upcoming
>>         8.1 NB is trying to use some clang components in experimental mode.
>>

>>     Will this by any chance use the compilation database integration?
>     NetBeans for a long time has own "build interceptor". It helps to put code
>     bases with even really complex build systems into IDE.
>     When developer uses Project with Existing Sources wizard and specify
>     commands which he proceed in cmd shell, then IDE executes them and
>     interpose compiler invocations to extract cwd and all flags passed to
>     compiler.
>     Then all is persisted in project properties, so user gain "Compile File"
>     for free, because IDE for each file knows how it was compiled.
>     For CMake based codebases json database is produced and used to extract flags.
>     Am I answering your question? Or do you mean smth different?
>

> Let me rephrase: for example, YouCompleteMe supports using libclang & its
> compilation database interface to get the necessary compile flags for C++
> files. Due to that support, I can take an arbitrary internal build system and
> add support for YCM by providing a libclang with a special implementation of
> the CompilationDatabase.
What you describe is the YCM approach how to help libclang to find compile flags
to create correct TU.
YCM should create implementation of CompilationDatabase and register it for
libclang to see it (or generate compile_commands.json file) , right?
But, from our experience the most difficult part here is: how to fill this
CompilationDatabase content for arbitrary build system?
I.e. for projects with alone my_favorite_buld_all.sh script?
So, above I just shortly described how NB historically gets information about
compiled flags.
http://netbeans.org/kb/docs/cnd/quickstart.html#existingsourcesprojects
It is similar to scan-build.

> Is that possible with NetBeans?
Possible what? :-)
Possible to wrap flags gathered by scan-build-like interposer into
CompilationDatabase for libclang usage? Yes it's possible.
But we don't use libclang or Tooling APIs.
I.e. we init Preprocessor manually, because have to disable all target build-ins
and provide all our own settings for system paths, system macros and so one.
Also we provide own FileSystem impl (great add-on in 3.6!!!), because we support
Remote Development and real parsed files have to be treated in the environment
emulating Remote Host.

Vladimir.