[cfe-dev] Windows and Clang

Joshua Gerrard via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Sep 3 02:16:05 PDT 2015

Hey folks, apologies for the rather noobish email...

I'd love to get into clang (and maybe llvm?) development, as some of my
projects use it as a "black box" that I'd "unbox" that, to make it easier
to debug if nothing else. At the moment, the project I'm working on works
great on Mac OS X, but fails miserably for unknown reasons on Windows.

I took a read of http://clang.llvm.org/docs/MSVCCompatibility.html and it
recommended using mingw32 instead of MSVC where possible, but this would
mean porting the (very large) project over so that it works on mingw32,
which would take a large but doable amount of time.

My question is, if I spend the time to get everything working on mingw32,
is clang in a state to "mostly work" on Window after that (assuming my
application code isn't doing anything stupid)? To be a little more
specific, clang is being linked against to compile C++ code that is later
run (i.e. it's not for static analysis). If mingw32 isn't in such a state,
is the MSVC version? The link I posted above gives me some information
about this, and I'm OK with only compiling for 64 bit (as the exception
comments mention that 64 bit exceptions are in a decent state), but I don't
know anything beyond what's in that article.

Thank you very much for any help in advance!

Regards,

Joshua