[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] RFC: CodeView debug info emission in Clang/LLVM

Robinson, Paul via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Oct 31 12:04:12 PDT 2015

The details of the mangling would be ABI dependent not debug-info-format dependent.  Metadata already allows conveying a mangled name into LLVM, as David Blaikie mentioned, so that's not really an issue. The frontend knows how to construct the mangled name, the backend knows where the mangled name goes in the final debug info.  It's a pretty reasonable separation of concerns.

I didn't see anything in this quickie overview of CodeView that wouldn't be expressible in DWARF, so there's nothing (yet) persuasive to suggest metadata should be format-aware.  It would be worthwhile for somebody knowledgeable in one format to take a good detailed look at the other, just to make sure; please provide a link to the detailed CodeView description when it becomes available.

Regarding source-language awareness of the debug-info generator, that's really not a concern (and I say this as someone who once helped add DWARF emission of COBOL-specific entries to a compiler backend that was not entirely clear how to spell COBOL).  You need an API that is able to specify the constructs used by the language, and the rest of it is just processing those record types the way they're supposed to be.  The backend is not doing any language-semantic analysis of the info, it's just doing what it's told.

Abstractly, the exercise of generalizing LLVM metadata to be able to support more than one debug-info format feels like a good thing. Metadata used to be more closely tied to DWARF (e.g., used DWARF tag codes directly in the metadata nodes to identify things) but it has been evolving away from that to a class hierarchy that is not so explicitly DWARF-ish.  Handling CodeView would encourage that direction, rather than being a more fundamental shift.
--paulr