[cfe-dev] Porting Clang to use with a new architecture

Ariel Arelovich via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Oct 26 10:49:20 PDT 2015

Hi:

Where I'm working they've asked me to look into compiling c code for a new
processor architecture being developed.  I've been checking into using
clang for this.

According to what I''ve been reading I should port LLVM to this new
architecture, for which I have found some documentation. This would change
llvm (since I need to add classes and modify code) but I'm not clear on how
this will then interface with the entire clang front end, i.e How is the
output of the front end (which I understand is ClangAST or similar)
inputted into llvm to transform in opcodes?

I would really apreciate a suggestion on where to start reading in order to
the porting, or to know if I'm going in the right direction.

Thank you for your time.