[cfe-dev] Small patches to allow fully independent clang/llvm/compiler-rt/libc++

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 15 12:22:00 PDT 2015

On 15 October 2015 at 19:59, James Y Knight <jyknight at google.com> wrote:
> I really think something simple like the above would be basically trivial to
> implement within clang, and solve the problems people need to have solved in
> this area. And there's no need to block on the massive triple/tuple
> refactoring, or anything like that.

Hi James,

Your use case is not what people are used to expect, so any change in
that direction is not "trivial". Beyond code changes, there are other
architectures and tools to think about.

The proposal to have a Python script is that we can get an idea of
what we want *before* we change the driver. The driver code is already
a nightmare, adding more complexity to it will not solve more problems
than create. When the Python script is doing what we want, changes to
the Clang driver will be trivial and at least we'll all agree not just
on the code, but also the technical decisions regarding the rest of
the toolchain.

Finally, none of that is blocked by the Triple issue, I'm not sure
where that came from, but I'm sorry if that's what you understood. I
specifically asked Daniel not to name it "triple" to avoid that
confusion. :)

For five years this issue has been completely ignored, and now
suddenly there's a lot of pressure to get it working ASAP. While I
welcome people noticing one of my first proposals to LLVM, that was
meant to fix the driver, not make it even more unpalatable.

There are other threads that also expose some changes that need to be
done in the libraries, so we need to take them all into consideration
before taking any rushed decision.

cheers,
--renato