[cfe-dev] Small patches to allow fully independent clang/llvm/compiler-rt/libc++

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 14 10:10:25 PDT 2015

On 14 October 2015 at 17:59, C Bergström <cbergstrom at pathscale.com> wrote:
> I don't know why gcc does it, but gcc -v will give you the configure
> line which was used to build the compiler.

GCC does it because the back-ends were never meant to work on the same
code. That was a decision taken many years ago and the make flags is
just a consequence of that.

For the last 2 years Linaro was trying to make the GCC ARM and AArch64
back-ends work together, but so far, haven't succeeded. I don't want
to us to get into that situation.

I know that's not what you're proposing, but Jon's concerns about
testing and overall design are indeed compelling. And this opens up to
changes that will get us in a place that is not exactly like GCC, nor
current LLVM, which is probably worse. Moreover, the proposal of
having an LLVM toolchain actually solves most of the problems and is
indeed on par with the rest of the driver's design. I agree it's the
best solution.

Other bugs can happen, yes, but we don't need to add more uncertainty.
We have plenty already.

cheers,
--renato