[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Buildbot Noise

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 8 09:34:54 PDT 2015

On 8 October 2015 at 17:15, Reid Kleckner <rnk at google.com> wrote:
> We are not saying "don't test on ARM". We are merely saying "don't send
> low-value email notifications". Bots that don't send email still provide
> value through their logs for after the fact fault finding.

Everyone is repeating the same thing. I must have confused the hell
out of everyone. Sorry about that. I agree with that sentence, noise,
value and all.

The point here is that our bots *are* stable, but they *look* unstable
because of the nature of the bugs they find.

If people don't want *stable* bots that *look* unstable (with relevant
notifications that not everyone can act upon every time), then this is
the same as "not test on non-x86" just because x86 is where everyone
develops on.

I don't think that is what people want, mind you, but I want to raise
awareness that this is what ultimately will happen if we take one type
of bot (say x86 ones) and discard anything that doesn't look exactly
like that.

Makes sense?

--renato