[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Buildbot Noise

Renato Golin via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Oct 7 14:24:18 PDT 2015

On 7 October 2015 at 22:14, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com> wrote:
> As a foreword: I haven't read a lot of the thread here and it's just a
> single developer talking here :)

I recommend you to, then. Most of your arguments are similar to
David's and they don't take into account the difficulty in maintaining
non-x86 buildbots.

What you're both saying is basically the same as: We want all the cars
we care about in our garage, but only as long as they can race in F1.
However, you care about the whole range, from beetles to McLarens, but
are only willing to cope with the speed and reliability of the latter.
You'll end up with only McLarens in your garage. It just doesn't make
sense.

Also, very briefly, I want the same as both of you: reliability. But I
alone cannot guarantee that. And even with help, I can only get there
in months, not days. To get there, we need to *slowly* move towards
it, not drastically throw away everything that is not a McLaren and
only put them back when they're as fast as a McLaren. It just won't
happen, and the risk of a fork becomes non-trivial.

--renato