[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] Buildbot Noise

Philip Reames via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Oct 1 15:01:25 PDT 2015

I agree with almost everything you said.  A couple of comments inline.

On 10/01/2015 10:31 AM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev wrote:
> Folks,
>
> David has been particularly militant with broken buildbots recently,
> so to make sure we don't throw the baby with the bath water, I'd like
> to propose some changes on how we deal with the emails on our
> *current* buildmaster, since there's no concrete plans to move it to
> anything else at the moment.
>
> The main issue is that managing the buildbots is not a simple task. It
> requires build owners to disable on the slave side, or specific people
> on the master side. The former can take as long as the owner wants
> (which is not nice), and the latter refreshes all active bots
> (triggering exceptions) and are harder to revert.
>
> We need to be pragmatic without re-writing the BuildBot product.
>
> Grab some popcorn...
>
> There are two main fronts that we need to discuss the noise: Bot and
> test stability.
>

>     1. Bot stability issues
>
> We need to distinguish between four classes of buildbots:
>
>    1.1. Fast && stable && green
>
> These buildbots normally finish under one hour, but most of the time
> under 1/2 hour and should be kept green as much as possible.
> Therefore, any reasonable noise in these bots are welcomed, since we
> want them to go back to green as soon as possible.
>
> They're normally the front-line, and usually catch most of the silly
> bugs. But we need some kind of policy that allows us to revert patches
> that break them for more than a few hours. We have an agreement
> already, and for me that's good enough. People might think
> differently.
>
> With the items 2.x below taken care of, we should keep the current
> state of our bots for this group.
>
>    1.2. One of: Slow || Unstable || Often Red
>
> These bots are special. They're normally *very* important, but have
> some issues, like slow hardware, not too many available boards, or
> they take long times to bisect and fix the bugs.
>
> These bots catch the *serious* bugs, like self-hosted Clang
> mis-compiling a long-running test which sometimes fails. They can
> produce noise, but when the noise is correct, we really need to listen
> to it. Writing software to understand that is non-trivial.
>
> So, the idea here is to have a few special treatments for each type of
> problem. For example, slow bots need more hardware to reduce the blame
> list. Unstable bot need more work to reduce spurious noise to a
> minimum (see 2.x below), and red bots *must* remain *silent* until
> they come back to green (see 2.x below).
>
> What we *don't* want is to disable or silence them after they're
> green. Most of the bugs they find are hard to debug, so the longer we
> take to fix it the harder it is to find out what happened. We need to
> know as soon as possible when they break.
I view the three conditions as warranting somewhat different treatment.
Specifically:

"slow" these are tolerable if annoying

"unstable" these should be removed immediately.  If the failure rate is
more than 1 in 5 builds of a known clean revision, that's far too much
noise to be notifying.  To be clear, I'm specifically referring to
spurious *failures* not environmental factors which are global to all bots.

"often red" these are extremely valuable (msan, etc..).  Assuming we
only notify on green->red, the only rule we should likely enforce is
that each bot has been green "recently".  I'd suggest a threshold of 2
months.  If it hasn't been green in 2 months, it's not really a build bot.
>    1.3. Two of: Slow || Unstable || Often Red
>
> These bots are normally only important to their owners, and they are
> on the verge of being disabled. The only way to cope with those bots
> is to completely disable their emails / IRC messages, so that no one
> gets flooded with noise from broken bots.
>
> However, some bots on the 1.2 category fall into this one for short
> periods of time (~1 week), so we need to be careful with what we
> disable here. That's the key baby/bathwater issue.
+1.  Any reasonable threshold is fine.  We just need to have one.

> Any hard policy here will be wrong for some bots some of the time, so
> I'd love if we could all just trust the bot owners a bit when they say
> they're fixing the issue. However, bots that fall here for more than a
> month, or more often that a few times during a few months (I'm being
> vague on purpose), then we collectively decide to disable the bot.
>
> What I *don't* want is any two or three guys deciding to disable the
> buildbot of someone else because they can't stand the noise. Remember,
> people do take holidays once in a while, and they may be in the Amazon
> or the Sahara having well deserved rest. Returning to work and
> learning that all your bots are disabled for a week is not nice.
So, maybe I'm missing something, but: why is it any harder to bring a
silence bot green than an emailing one?