[cfe-dev] Combining scan-build runs

Andrew Melo via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Nov 29 08:27:43 PST 2015

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the mail,

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 12:00 PM, Craig, Ben via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> I'm not sure that I fully understand your question.  Here are some
> attempts by me to answer some of the questions I think you are asking.
>
> How do I make one combined index.html for the bug reports in my two
> distinct projects?
>
> Have you tried to use -o <output location>, and have both projects point
> to the same location?  I don't know for sure if this will work or not, but
> it's worth a shot.
>

> How do I do cross-project analysis?  For example, how do I find null
> dereference bugs when projectA invokes a function in projectB incorrectly?
>
> The clang static analyzer doesn't support this right now.  It doesn't even
> really support finding bugs when crossing translation units.  It can find
> cross-function issues when all the functions are in the same translation
> unit.
>
> I was looking for the latter. I didn't realize the static analysis was
limited to a single translation unit, which is why my question probably
didn't make a lot of sense. I guess the limitation is that the control-flow
graph can grow to be unboundedly large as you combine translation units
together?

Thanks for the help,
Andrew

> On 11/23/2015 11:15 AM, Andrew Melo via cfe-dev wrote:
>
> Hello all,
>
> I've been using clang's static analyzer to clean up some code and find
> some particularly tricky bugs that have been haunting me for a while.
> It's working great!
>
> Our project is broken into multiple independent subprojects (each with
> their own makefile, etc..), so when I run scan-build on each
> subproject in sequence, a lot of the context gets lost when control
> goes from projectA to projectB and back again. Is there a way to have
> scan-build combine the ASTs from the different projects together to
> give it the global view? We currently have:
>
> projectA$ scan-build make
> projectB$ scan-build make
>
> Is there some way to have scan-build do something the equivalent of:
>
> $ scan-build --combine projectA/scan-output projectB/scan-output
>
> Thanks!
> Andrew
>

> --
> Employee of Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
> Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of Code Aurora Forum, a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project

Andrew Melo