[cfe-dev] [ASAN] sanitizing static initialization order fiasco

Kostya Serebryany via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Nov 9 11:22:52 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 9, 2015 at 8:54 AM, Piotr Padlewski via cfe-dev <
cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi,
> so I've heard that ASAN supports sanitizing static initialization order
> fiasco:
>
> http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AddressSanitizer.html#initialization-order-checking
>
> I assume that it only reports occurrences of fiasco, and not cases when it
> could happen but we were lucky enough that initialization order was right.

There is a stricter mode  that will find potential fiasco as well:
https://github.com/google/sanitizers/wiki/AddressSanitizerInitializationOrderFiasco#strict-init-order-checking

> Am I right or not? If so, is there any way to staticly prove that code is
> initialization order fiasco free?

I'd guess this can be checked statically but I am not aware of a tool that
does it.