[cfe-dev] Opinions requested -- nullability analysis in Clang

Craig, Ben via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Nov 6 14:06:17 PST 2015

I like static analysis, but I do not think the static analysis available
in clang today for null checking is suitable for -Wall. One of the
reasons is because it is difficult to silence false positives (as you
mentioned).  More importantly though, the impact to build time is quite
substantial.  Nullability checks are path sensitive, and path sensitive
checks are super-exponential.  If a file takes seconds to compile, it is
fairly common for it to take minutes to analyze.

I'm fine with the check being under a different flag, but lumping it in
with -Wall would cause a lot of developer pain.  In fact, I would very
much like to be able to run the analyzer at the same time that I do a
compile.  That idea has been discussed before though, and there was
resistance:
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/cfe-dev/2013-July/031097.html

For item 3., I was under the impression that most smart pointer classes
inlined well enough that the static analyzer was still effective at
finding null issues.  Do you have a small example that causes a null
pointer warning with a raw pointer, but doesn't cause a null pointer
warning with a smart pointer?

2. and 4. seem like reasonable ideas to me, assuming they are implementable.