[cfe-dev] [llvm-dev] [RFC][libcxx] Fix and maintain the no-exceptions build of libcxx

Martin J. O'Riordan via cfe-dev cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Nov 4 01:25:26 PST 2015

The WG21 ISO C++ committee did compile a Technical Report on the needs of embedded systems, with particular attention to the impact on libraries of Exception Handling and Locales.  This TR was not "Embedded C++" which was essentially C++ with all of its teeth removed; and instead tried to advise how implementers could construct compliant C++ compilers and libraries that better suited the Embedded Systems environment; sub-setting was considered undesirable as it implied 2 Standards for C++, but a more modular use of and implementation the languages features was considered achievable.

This Technical Report was written over a period of 5 years and we even prototyped libraries based on its findings.  It would need to be updated to track developments in the language since, in particular threads and synchronisation abstractions, but most of it is still as valid today as it was 9 years ago.

The document (if you can get access to it) is:

	ISO/IEC TR 18015:2006(E)
	Technical Report on C++ Performance

However, once we completed that TR I have never heard anything about it since.  Also, when I went to the NCITS web-site, it was selling for a huge price (~$500) which puts it well out of the reach of normal people.

	Martin O'Riordan - Movidius Ltd.