[cfe-dev] Clang inconsistency with gcc on Windows

Edward Diener eldlistmailingz at tropicsoft.com
Sun May 31 17:20:29 PDT 2015

On 5/31/2015 3:26 PM, Yaron Keren wrote:
> Maybe gcc is more fogiving with checking redeclarations or some compiler
> predefine is not the same. You can check this in depth by looking at
> preprocess output (-E) and comparing how both compilers expand the
> GetSystemTimeAsFileTime declaration.

Both compilers expand the different GetSystemTimeAsFileTime declaration
in the internal Boost winapi headers and the mingw headers in exactly
the same way.

The preprocessed expansion in the internal Boost winapi header is:

      __attribute__((dllimport)) void __attribute__((__stdcall__))
          GetSystemTimeAsFileTime(FILETIME_* lpFileTime);

and the preprocessed expansion in the mingw headers is:

      void __attribute__((__stdcall__)) GetSystemTimeAsFileTime(LPFILETIME);

where FILETIME_ and LPFILETIME are the same structure.

The gcc compiler sees these declarations as the same but the clang
compiler sees them as different and therefore an error.