[cfe-dev] -fno-signed-char ignored

Javier Múgica javier_3 at runbox.com
Fri May 22 14:34:06 PDT 2015

I use the -fno-signed-char command line option but it has no effect: CHAR_MIN is not zero but -128 and I get warnings like

 warning: implicit conversion changes signedness: 'const char' to
      'wchar_t' (aka 'unsigned short') [-Wsign-conversion]
                        while(*cs) *s1++=*cs++;
                                        ~^~~~~

so clearly the char type is treated as unsigned. My exact command line is

clang -c -x c -std=c11 -fno-signed-char -Weverything -D _DLL -D _DEBUG -D _MT -O0 -g3 *.th

And, does the 3 I write at -g3 have any effect or is it spurious?

By the way, does anybody know how can I redirect the diagnosis to a file instead of stdout (or how do I change stdout itself)? I invoke clang from a makefile, in Windows, like

>nmake libraries.mak > buildoutput.txt

but this has no effect of the output from the compiler.

Thanks in advance

-- Javier A. M.