[cfe-dev] LLVM IRC channel flooded?

Jonathan Roelofs jonathan at codesourcery.com
Tue May 19 07:48:36 PDT 2015

On 5/19/15 8:15 AM, Renato Golin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I know it's a reasonably valuable thing to have the buildbot IRC bot
> publishing results, but the channel is kind of flooded with the
> messages, and the more bots we put up, the worse it will be.
>
> I think we still need the NOC warnings, but not over IRC. The Buildbot
> NOC page is horrible and useless, since it doesn't know the difference
> between "it's red and I know it" from "it's broken".
>
> For that reason, I have built my own NOC page:
>
> http://people.linaro.org/~renato.golin/llvm/arm-bots/

I like it!

> But that machine is too slow to cope with all bots. We may need a
> project to build such a system on a larger scale.
>
> However, for now, I think not printing the green results in IRC would
> go a long way of cleaning the channel up.
>
> Any thoughts?

Even shortening up the messages from them would go a long way...

For example (one example of failure and success for each):

4:45:58 AM - green-dragon-bot: Project Clang Stage 1: cmake, incremental
RA, using system compiler (Build) build r237678 (#9856): FAILURE in 41
sec:
http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/job/clang-stage1-cmake-RA-incremental_build/9856/
- blamelist: chfast

5:13:03 AM - green-dragon-bot: Project Clang Stage 1: cmake, incremental
RA, using system compiler (Build) build r237680 (#9857): FIXED in 12
min:
http://lab.llvm.org:8080/green/job/clang-stage1-cmake-RA-incremental_build/9857/

7:18:45 AM - bb-chapuni: build #6916 of ninja-clang-x64-mingw64-RA is
complete: Failure [failed test-llvm]  Build details are at
http://bb.pgr.jp/builders/ninja-clang-x64-mingw64-RA/builds/6916
blamelist: Zoran Jovanovic <zoran.jovanovic at imgtec.com>, NAKAMURA Takumi
<geek4civic at gmail.com>, Kostya Serebryany <kcc at google.com>, Yaron Keren
<yaron.keren at gmail.com>, Tim Northover
7:18:45 AM - bb-chapuni: <tnorthover at apple.com>, David Majnemer
<david.majnemer at gmail.com>, Daniel Jasper <djasper at google.com>, Pete
Cooper <peter_cooper at apple.com>, Eric Christopher <echristo at gmail.com>,
Jozef Kolek <jozef.kolek at imgtec.com>, Michael Kuperstein
<michael.m.kuperstein at intel.com>, Pawel Bylica <chfast at gmail.com>,
Richard Smith <richard-llvm at metafoo.co.uk>, Alexey Bataev
7:18:45 AM - bb-chapuni: <a.bataev at hotmail.com>, Matthias Braun
<matze at braunis.de>, David Blaikie <dblaikie at gmail.com>, Reid Kleckner
<reid at kleckner.net>, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es>, Filipe
Cabecinhas <me at filcab.net>

7:43:47 AM - bb-chapuni: build #6917 of ninja-clang-x64-mingw64-RA is
complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at
http://bb.pgr.jp/builders/ninja-clang-x64-mingw64-RA/builds/6917

8:20:46 AM - llvmbb___: build #3947 of sanitizer-x86_64-linux-autoconf
is complete: Failure [failed annotate failed tsan output_tests]  Build
details are at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/sanitizer-x86_64-linux-autoconf/builds/3947
  blamelist: yrnkrn, zjovanovic

8:32:33 AM - llvmbb___: build #3948 of sanitizer-x86_64-linux-autoconf
is complete: Success [build successful]  Build details are at
http://lab.llvm.org:8011/builders/sanitizer-x86_64-linux-autoconf/builds/3948

In each of those three, the builder's name is repeated, as well as the
build #, and there's no mention of the svn revision that they built. In
the case of Chapuni's buildbot, the email addresses are not useful in
comparison to the svn usernames from the other bots. This is compounded
by the slow bots that blame the world when there's a failure.

Also, perhaps the URLs should be shortened?

The format could be: [botname]: [buildername] [short_url]
("Passed"|"Failed:" [usernames])

i.e:
llvmbb__: sanitizer-x86_64-linux-autoconf http://bit.ly/1R0hPbR Failed:
yrnkrn, zjovanovic