[cfe-dev] Question about sanitizer interface

Kostya Serebryany kcc at google.com
Wed May 6 09:00:13 PDT 2015

+eugenis, and sorry for delay, I was OOO.

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 6:12 AM, Oliver Schneider <oliver at f-prot.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while extending some of my code to also act on MSan crashes instead of
> just ASan, I noticed that not all callbacks are available for MSan.
>
> In ASan I used the
>
>   void __asan_set_error_report_callback(void (*callback)(const char*));
>
> to relay information back to the parent process via a shared memory

object. However, for MSan no similar functionality exists.

Agree. it would be nice to unify this functionality between asan, msan and
others.
It's just not done.

> Is there a way to get this functionality also in MSan? I.e. being able
> to capture the error report contents in their string form?
>
> Evgeniy?

> I'm using version 3.6.1 at the moment.
>
> Thanks,
>
> // Oliver
>
> PS: on a related note; I found:
>
> 117   // Deprecated. Call __sanitizer_set_death_callback instead.
> 118   void __asan_set_death_callback(void (*callback)(void));
>
> which suggests that the same would hold for the MSan counterpart.
> However, there is just says:
>
>  92   /* Sets the callback to be called right before death on error.
>  93      Passing 0 will unset the callback. */
>  94   void __msan_set_death_callback(void (*callback)(void));
>
> Is this intentional or owed to the fact that ASan is more actively
> developed or so? ...

This is just not done (but should be).
We'll need it ourselves eventually, but if you send us a patch (to
llvm-commits, using Phabricator)
it may get there sooner. :)

--kcc