[cfe-dev] LLVM source-to-source transformation: IRL to C++ Library

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk m.e.sanliturk at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 13:16:40 PDT 2015

On Tue, Mar 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Tamay <aykut.tamay at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am a student from Germany in my masters working on robotics. Since I
> have no experience with LLVM I was wondering if it is possible to use LLVM
> to build a compiler or interpreter which translates/transforms the commands
> of the industrial robot language (IRL) into the open source C++ Robotics
> Library. The C++RL is used to control and navigate robots. The idea is to
> use the manufacturer-independent robot language (IRL) to make use of the
> functions and methods of the C++RL.
> I have been searching now for a while but I could not find anything about
> it.
>
> I would be very glad and deeply thankful if somebody can help me or give
> me further advise on how to get started.

You need to have a source to source translator :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Source-to-source_compiler
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Program_transformation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Program_transformation
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metacompiler

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Graph_rewriting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graph_rewriting

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Rewriting_systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewriting

If you have an open source interpreter of  Industrial Robot Language (IRL)
, by using parts of  that interpreter  you can do the following ( If there
is not such a program , you need to write one : Compiler Construction books
have many examples about how to write such a program ) :

>From a given Industrial Robot Language (IRL) "program" :

Generate a C++ code program to use C++ Robotics Library corresponding to
given IRL program , then by using Clang , compile this generated program to
machine code .

I think , the shortest way to reach your goal would be above step .

By using the above pages and links found in them , you can find suitable
programs to transform IRL to C++ .

It seems that IRL is DIN norm and it is used mainly in Germany , because a
Google search is not producing an English application of it in the first
search pages ( even it is not in English Wikipedia , but in Deutsche
Wikipedia :

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Robot_Language

)

Thank you very much .