[cfe-dev] clang -cc1 error : file not found

Neil Semmel neil.semmel at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 01:51:51 PDT 2015

Hello,

The -cc1 flag is useful in some cases, but if you just want to print the
ast, you can use the -Xclang switch as well. -cc1 will remove all builtin
settings from clang, which includes standard defines, and standard include
paths. -Xclang gives you access to the full set of clang flags for the next
argument, it's like passing it to "clang -cc1" directly, but doesn't
require all of the include paths etc to be set.

$ clang -fsyntax-only -Xclang -ast-dump ./test.c

or

$ clang -Xclang -ast-dump -o test ./test.c

when using -cc1, you must specify all include paths, and any other "normal"
settings that clang would use for c/c++ compilation. If you do

$ clang -v -o test ./test.c

you should be able to see the full clang command with the -cc1 argument.

But, since you're interested in dumping the ast, "-Xclang -ast-dump" is all
you need.

Neil