[cfe-dev] (no subject)

Andrew C. Morrow andrew.c.morrow at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 10:43:36 PDT 2015

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 7:01 PM, Alexander Kornienko <alexfh at google.com>
wrote:

> Hi Andrew, Richard,
>
> > I asked this over on cfe-user last week, but got no response there:
>
> Sorry, I wasn't even aware of this list before I saw your e-mail.
> Currently cfe-dev is a better place for clang-tidy questions.

It looks like cfe-user is not widely used. That is maybe unfortunate, in my
opinion there should be a place to ask user-ish questions without
cluttering the dev list.

> Re: your main question. While in general YAML/JSON/... would be a better
> format to output clang-tidy results for other tools, I see that there are
> valid use cases for parsing text diagnostic output, as there are many tools
> doing this with compiler diagnostics. And we certainly need to allow
> configuration of the diagnostic output. However --extra-arg is just not the
> right mechanism for this, as it just modifies compilation arguments
> clang-tidy gets from a compilation database. We can't configure output of
> clang-tidy using these arguments, as they can be arbitrary and even
> different for each processed file.

That makes sense, thanks for clarifying. Perhaps the help text for
-extra-arg could be amended to give some indication of which sort of flags
are honored, and which are not? It really did look like exactly what I
wanted.

> A better way to make diagnostic output configurable is to add top-level
> clang-tidy flags. Is it the only flag you need or would some other similar
> flags be useful as well?

Ideally I think the whole set of diagnostics switches described here:

http://clang.llvm.org/docs/UsersManual.html#controlling-how-clang-displays-diagnostics

My reasoning is that if you have an existing tool parsing clang diagnostics
output it may already be using any of these flags to customize, and if the
goal is to make clang-tidy useable as a drop in replacement for 'clang
-fsyntax-only' or similar it would need to support the same options with
the same effects on diagnostic presentation.

> I can't promise that I can add the support for these quickly, but it
> definitely seems like a useful thing to have.

Great. I've not looked into the clang-tidy code but if you think this would
be reasonably straightforward I might just try to implement it.

Thanks,
Andrew