[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] Commit message policy?

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Sat Mar 7 20:29:49 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Indeed; I agree that this is the most important thing, and that we don't need a specific character count so long as we explain that it becomes the subject of an e-mail. What prompted me to ping this thread was yet-another private e-mail exchange I had with a relatively-new contributor, where I pointed this out, and he or she hadn't realized or thought about it, and asked if we had this advice anywhere on the web site.

This part of the last-posted patch is also useful:

+* `Attribution of Changes`_ should be in a separate line, after the end of
+  the body, as simple as "Patch by John Doe.".

because I find standardization in this area comforting (and, more importantly, it will remind people to do it).

Thanks again,
Hal

> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 11:56 AM, Renato Golin <
> renato.golin at linaro.org > wrote:
>

> On 6 March 2015 at 18:33, Hal Finkel < hfinkel at anl.gov > wrote:
> > Hi Renato,
> >
> > Did anything ever happen with this?
>
> Nope. People didn't want to commit to limits but still have a
> guideline. I'm of the view that guidelines are meant to be ignored.
>
> Do you want to continue pushing this?
>
> cheers,
> --renato

Hal Finkel