[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] bitwise ops on booleans

Hal Finkel hfinkel at anl.gov
Mon Jun 29 16:34:37 PDT 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sanjay Patel" <spatel at rotateright.com>

Sure, at least to make benchmarking here easier.

> because there's no way we can know in advance that adding a branch
> will beat a compound predicate in all cases. I attached a test
> program and some results to PR23827. Feedback and more data points
> are certainly appreciated.

If using the bitwise ops are faster sometimes, I think we need a better cost model here. When the expressions don't have side effects, we should use the fastest method regardless of whether & or && was typed. I find it difficult to believe that we cannot come up with a reasonable cost model for evaluating (a && b), branches vs. bitops, if we try.

 -Hal

--
Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist