[cfe-dev] llvm-abi: A library for generating ABI-compliant LLVM IR

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Mon Jun 29 11:32:44 PDT 2015

I agree it would be really nice to build a library for ABI lowering, but
any solution that isn't clang or isn't ultimately picked up by clang will
necessarily be incomplete. Perhaps that is OK for your frontend's uses, but
I think it's the main reason that we haven't done something like this in
LLVM already.

Any solution that doesn't involve actual Clang ASTs is unlikely to be able
to represent all C-with-extensions types (unions, bitfields, alignment
attributes, transparent_union attribute). I took a look at Type.hpp in your
project, and it seems to be missing some of these things. Keeping such a
library up to date with new extensions is going to be a maintenance burden.

That said, I wish you luck, and I hope the project eases some of the
difficulties for new frontends. It is very possible that the corner cases
that keep me up at night are not the problems that users actually face. :)