[cfe-dev] Command line compiler options

Reid Kleckner rnk at google.com
Wed Jun 17 08:59:26 PDT 2015

I pretty much agree with everything people have mentioned so far, and
wanted to suggest how we could go forward, assuming someone had the time.

I think the attribute reference documentation (
http://clang.llvm.org/docs/AttributeReference.html) is both comprehensive
and readable, and is a good example of what we could do for flags. The gist
is that when you add a new attribute, you have to explicitly add the
Documentation variable or you get a build error. You can explicitly mark an
attribute as undocumented, but usually this comes up in code review.

I don't like that the docs are written with tablegen *and* rst syntax, but
I think that's probably fixable by doing some kind of rst extension like
Sphinx itself.

For flags, I'm imagining that we'll have lots of commonly used flags
(-fvisibility=, -fsanitize=, -fno-omit-frame-pointer) that we'll want to
describe in detail. At the end, we'll have two big piles of flags without
docs: flags that are accepted and ignored for compatibility, and flags
which do something but nobody really knows what they do.