[cfe-dev] Command line compiler options

mats petersson mats at planetcatfish.com
Wed Jun 17 03:28:08 PDT 2015

Of course another problem for example with -std=X is that "full support for
X is not implied by X being a valid choice" - -std=c++11 would be available
as a valid option for quite some time before the actual C++11 standard
support was complete - because people were working TOWARDS complete
support. Similarly, using clang to compile CL2.0 is allowed with
-cl-std=CL2.0, but that doesn't mean that the current trunk branch is
supporting all features of CL2.0 - but you can't offer the support at all,
if you don't have a way to specify it, and it gets rather messing having to
add an option -std=c++11-incomplete, and then when it's complete, change
that into c++11 (in particular, there may be 100s of tests that need to be
updated for this]

I have no suggestion as to how to solve this.

Auto-generated support is probably more maintainable than relying on people
writing separate documentation, but it is still relying on the people
writing the code to accept the option to write good descriptions that make
sense [and those reviewing it spotting when it's not up to date].

Of course, you also have to keep those descriptions up to date when things
change - e.g. optimization settings may change over time, so the listing of
"-O2 enables <list of optimisation passes>" would have to be kept up to
date. That sort of information is often a bit tricky to find.

--
Mats