[cfe-dev] CUDA again: what is supported (and what is not)

Artem Belevich tra at google.com
Mon Jun 15 15:40:25 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 9:50 AM, latzori <luca.atzori at cern.ch> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to take stock of the situation about clang's CUDA support.

TL;DR version: you *can* use clang -cc1 to compile some CUDA code that does
not use Nvidia's CUDA headers.

> The informations I found around the web are very fragmentary and sometimes
> contradictory, so I decided to open this post to clarify, and perhaps help
> others in the same situation.
>
> *Question: is there some way to generate ASTs without touching to the
> front-end?*

Cuda code that does not use CUDA headers should be compilable. Device-side
will compile all the way down to PTX. Host side can generate appropriate
glue to initialize and launch kernels. So, the answer is a qualified "yes".

Here's a trivial example of device-side compilation. Add -ast-dump if you
want to see AST.
# echo '__attribute__((global)) void kernel(void) { }' | clang -cc1 -x cuda
-fcuda-is-device -triple nvptx64-unknown-cuda -S -

Driver does not know much about cuda yet and that's something D9509 is
intended to help with. For now, though, you'd have to do host and device
compilation manually with cc1.

> These are more or less the informations I found.
>

> 1) Looking at the official repositories (this  mirror
> <https://github.com/llvm-mirror/clang>   for example) it seems that some
> work is in progress, but of course far away from completion.

One can hope it's not *that* far from the point where it's usable. I've
been digging in that direction and I'm getting the glimpse of a light at
the end of the tunnel. I have rough set of changes that can compile and
successfully run some of examples that come with CUDA 7.0.

> 2) After a brief chat on the  official IRC Channel
> <http://irc.lc/oftc/clang/irctc@@@>  , some users confirmed me that
> end-to-end compilation isn't supported, but that they internally have some
> parser that runs quite well (?). They also linked me the  D9506
> <http://reviews.llvm.org/D9506>  ,  D9507 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D9507>
> and  D9509 <http://reviews.llvm.org/D9509>   patches.

Yup. End-to-end compilation is not here yet. D9509 will get driver to
handle CUDA compilation pipeline, but there are other missing pieces.

> 3) Some projects claim that they can parse CUDA with clang. I'm referring
> in
> particular to  CU2CL <http://chrec.cs.vt.edu/cu2cl/>   (cited in  this
> discussion
> <
> http://clang-developers.42468.n3.nabble.com/Parsing-CUDA-file-to-AST-td4038287.html
> >
> too).

Syntax-wise CUDA is pretty much C++ with triple-brackets kernel launch. The
rest boils down to few attributes and builtin variables that can be
implemented/faked in an include file, so parsing bare-bones CUDA source
file is not particularly challenging. So, yes, it is doable.

> 4) It is not clear to me if using some other tools, like libnvvm, is
> possible to at least generate LLVM IR from CUDA source (and then maybe
> compile it on x86?). (Or maybe only from PTX? Is that the so called NVVM
> IR?)

If I understand it correctly, libnvvm provides GPU-specific optimizations
on IR level. I.e. front-end (clang) would generate IR, libnvvm would
optimize it, and then back-end (llvm) would generate PTX. As far as I can
tell, it never sees CUDA source and thus can't help you.

> Any answer about any possible solution will be very appreciated!

Bottom line is that if you can live without CUDA headers, clang is somewhat
usable right now.

--Artem