[cfe-dev] embedded CPUs, or making Clang's driver more flexible / not so omniscient

Chandler Carruth chandlerc at google.com
Mon Jun 8 14:14:51 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 1:55 PM Jim Grosbach <grosbach at apple.com> wrote:

> This makes a lot of sense to me. Better support for this sort of use case
> will be very welcome.

Awesome, as there seems to be general support, I'll probably LGTM Doug's
patch here shortly. Please keep the questions coming as useful.

> Can you expand a bit on the direction for this target in particular? Is
> the end goal to improve the interworking with the existing toolchain, to
> bring up a full llvm target, some mix of both?

Currently, our focus is to improve how Clang and LLVM work with the
existing dev kit and toolchain.

The company in question started a thread back in March[1] that seemed to be
related to bringing up a full LLVM target, but I don't know the status of
that effort. Of course, IMO, it would be really nice to have full LLVM
support here, so I'm very supportive of that whole direction.

-Chandler

[1]: http://lists.cs.uiuc.edu/pipermail/llvmdev/2015-March/083997.html