[cfe-dev] [LLVMdev] RFC: Another go at a cross compiler config file. (with an example using clang to compile for Windows on Linux)

David Chisnall David.Chisnall at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 13 01:46:02 PST 2015

On 12 Jan 2015, at 22:58, Richard Pennington <rich at pennware.com> wrote:

> When I posted that there wasn't a lot of enthusiasm for the approach. I am using it but people thought it would complicate the driver and didn't like the fact that a file might need to be read each time the compiler is invoked (it doesn't really require that a file be read, the YAML can be compiled in, but anyway).

I probably wouldn't want it to be required, but reading one extra file is not likely to be a major performance issue when compiling C code, because (at least until modules are ubiquitous) you're likely to be reading a load of C files anyway.  It seems a shame currently that we build clang, which is intrinsically a cross-compiler, but actually using it as such with existing build systems is often painful because certain CFLAGS must be inserted into every call at a specific place to make sure that it picks up the right things.

Once you have something that's ready for general review, I'd be happy to take a look.

David